Thursday, September 04, 2003

Friday, August 1 2003 Vancouver

(cont) Woke up alone in the V-berth. MB has decided to sleep up on the bench in the salon. The sea gulls are screetching "Awawk! Awawk! Awak wak wak wak!" Then repeated over and over like a mantra. I wonder what they're saying. I slept with the hatch open, and the vents popped and I feel fucking invigorated, like I could lift a fucking car if I had to. I don't feel like leaving today. I throw on some clothes and climb out of the V-berth. The Monkeyman is up and on the computer. MB is sitting up in the salon picking through the butts in the ashtray, lighting the ends and smoking the last dregs off them. The Monkeyman explains that he isn't going to work today. I axe him what time it is and he says 13:30. I go up topdeck and do some writing and sketching and after about a half hour The Monkeyman comes up to tell me that MB is heading off to Whistler tonight so we shall have a little drinking and visiting time without the tag along antics of MB(finally!). I'm starving so I suggest to The Monkeyman that we go out for a drink. I take a shower and an "interactive" shite in the stateroom head. I exit feeling like, well, maybe not a million bucks, but at least five hundred thousand! I get dressed and ready to take on the world as does The Monkeyman when MB decides to tag along because he knows The Monkeyman has just gotten paid. We head to a gigantic sports bar called The Shark Club. Jeezuz this place is HUGE! And like a freaking MAZE! Shadow boxed on the walls are Autographed Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, and a myriad of other Jerseys. Our waitress is an incredible looking half Asian, half white girl whose sparkling eyes and silky skin has me mezmorized. The Monkeyman and I order a pair of MGD's (we are in a sports bar after all) and MB has gone to "check" his "bank account" to, I suppose see if any money has magically appeared in it. On one of the hundreds of Telecasters in the joint a "fitba" match is on. It's a re-run of the Friendly between Man U and Javentes from East Rutherford NJ. I order some chicken strips and chips ($9.50+tax). MB and The Monkeyman want nothing to eat apparently. I enjoy the juicy, delicious chicken and chips. Man! Exactly what I needed! I feel ready to leap a tall building in a single bound. A couple of MGD's later and we're off. I leave a big tip to let sweetness know she's appreciated. We walk north and end up (where else?) but The Cambie. We have a pitcher or two of some local ale thats the daily special. The Monkeyman and his brother get into a discussion about MB's inability to live on the planet we call Earth most of the time. He goes on to say that the both of us have a tenuous grasp on reality, MB apparently to a much greater degree than I. I agree, jokingly telling them that I still believe Highlander the series to be a "Documentary." After about 15 mins of this MB starts to get uncomfortable so I try to change the subject by introducing my theory of beliving in things I can see, hear, taste, smell. Then MB jumps me demanding that I prove these things exist. I tell him I'm not in the mood for his existential clap-trap and The Monkeyman jumps in and tells MB not to try to worm out of their conversation with that "second year college bullshit." The Monkeyman goes on to tell him he has "entitlement issues." I tell them they both do since they're both disciples of the Evil Trudeau. And in being members of the Trudeau personality cult, they both have the idea in their heads that the world "owes them" somehow.
"As disciples of this personality cult ," (I went on), "you've been led to believe that the country, the world, the universe owes you a living. You have what I like to call 'Trudeau Entitlemania.'" Eventually MB has to leave to catch his bus to Whistler, but before he goes he axes us if we will still be here in 90 mins in case "by incredible fluke I miss my bus." We are non-commital because honestly who the hell knows what Jaeger and The Monkeyman might be getting up to in an hour and a half? So, MB leaves, then comes back thirty seconds later and axes The Monkeyman for the last $20 from his pocket which The Monkeyman gives up to him with an exasperated sigh before once again sending him on his way. We finish two more pitchers and are off for more adventures.
(later)